The Accountant supports the Accounting Manager in all aspects of client accounting including but not limited to all day to day accounting functions, payroll, maintenance of general ledger, preparation of financial statements, compiling and monitoring of budgets, managing cash and investments, and assists in maintaining the overall financial health of multiple assigned metropolitan, water and sanitation, park and recreation, and fire protection/emergency service districts.
- Accounting & Budget Functions
- Primary responsibility is to assist in maintaining the general ledger and accounting records for each client.
- Process accounts payable.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, as needed.
- Prepare financial reports for Board of Directors.
- Coordinate with Accounting Manager on revenue management, including billings for services and fees and budget comparisons.
- Coordinate with Accounting Manager on expense management, including analysis of budget to actual and explaining variances.
- Prepare audit work papers and coordinate with independent auditors or complete audit exemption forms as applicable.
- Assist with processing client payroll.
- Prepare year-end tax reporting, including W-2 and 1099 forms.
- Prepare or assist Accounting Manager with compliance reporting.
- Assist Accounting Manager with long-range financial projections.
- Works closely with Director of Finance and Accounting and Accounting Managers to handle issues and transactions related to finance and accounting.
- Works closely with Administrators in the payables and billings processes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each major responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to operate computers using Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, as well all additional relevant and required computer hardware and software
- Professional appearance and dress consistent with desired corporate image
- Demonstrated knowledge of industry practices and terminology
- Situational awareness
- Ability to identify problems then develop and implement solutions
- Strong reasoning, judgment, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Flexibility and versatility to prioritize and manage multiple, rapidly changing requests
- Excellent organization and attention to detail
- Motivated, driven and engaged demeanor
- Ability to anticipate the needs of clients and team members
- Able to work well under pressure, meet deadlines and follow through on work assignments
- Collaborative work style with an emphasis on building and fostering relationships
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate well at all levels of the organization
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Inspires and motivates others to perform well and accepts feedback from others
- Must be willing to carry out company goals and policies
- Improves and promotes quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Willing to continue professional development
- Ability to communicate (speak, read and write) in English with individuals in person, by telephone, and by email
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret various documents and service plans agreements in English
- Ability to compose business correspondence to a variety of audiences
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from directors, managers, consultants, constituents, various groups, and staff.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts as required in maintaining and reporting expenses, estimates, budgets, discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, areas, volumes, and circumferences.
- Analytical and detail-oriented
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of Board of Directors, constituents, service vendors, and consultants.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- One or more years of experience in the performance of hands-on Accounting
- Knowledge of governmental accounting preferred
Equipment: Must be able to operate a computer, fax machine, copier, telephone, motor vehicle.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand and walk or sit alternatively depending on the specific needs of day. Estimate 75% of time is spent sitting at desk and 25% on feet.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk.
- Has frequent need to perform the following physical activities: bend/stoop/squat, climb stairs, push or pull, reach above shoulders.
- Constant needs to perform the following physical activities: writing/typing, grasping/turning, and finger dexterity.
- Lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds frequently.
- Vision requirements: constant needs to read manuals, reports, financial statements, complete forms, and view computer screen.
- Hearing requirements: constant needs to communicate over the telephone and in person.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License and a clean driving record to operate a company-owned fleet vehicle
- Ability and means to travel locally as needed, proof of liability and property damage insurance on vehicle used is required
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the individual regularly works in an office environment and does not work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate. Some overtime and/or irregular hours may be required as job duties demand.
Supervised by: Director of Finance & Accounting
- Greenwood Village, CO
- Full Time Employment
Finance and AccountingWork Experience
- Required: 1+ years of experience in Accounting
- Preferred: Knowledge of government accounting
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business AdministrationSubmit Resume to